Monday, December 1, 2008

Here I sit...

Thank you to all of those who continue to support my brother and I!! Another 111 hits last week! THANK YOU!!

Here I sit...again. Just hanging out after yet another awesome cookout. It was one of our Soldier's birthday today. Any reason not to eat at the DFAC is good to me. And i get to cook on a charcoal grill. NICE! We made it through Thanksgiving just great! Thanksgiving dinner was great. My entire group got to go to the DFAC for a lovely meal topped off with some nice conversation. I got to talk to my family and enjoy their happiness as well. I talked to my dad almost every day last week while he was in WV deer hunting. There were some pretty nice deer killed from what I hear...daddy hasn't gotten one yet, but his is coming. He over-looked some does, waiting on the big one to come strolling by. I can't say how much I wish I was there. It's so awesome to call up there, and just listen to the stories, the family, and all the comotion. I don't think my dad realized that I was content just listening to the noise in the background....kinda like being a fly on the wall. I miss everyone up there so bad, I just can't put it into words.

On another subject...the Military life is so simple...sometimes....sometimes. My NCOIC and I were talking tonight after all the grilling was finished and we were saying how he kinda got this feeling like he didn't want to go back home. I had to agree. When you think about the simplicity of our lives here, and how it's so structured. Take away all of the Hero's we've had to see, take care of, and try to push to the back of our heads....it's not that bad. Hero's are those that have made the ultimate sacrafice. We wake up, go to work, eat, work, eat, and go chill out in our rooms or however we see fit to spend our free time. At home, we have to worry about this and that and this and that and this and that.....gas, gas money, electric bill, water bill, will our employment come to a sudden end, will our vehicle break down, going to the grocery store, work in general....the list goes on and on.... But we all know that we love our other lives...the civilian side of life. And, we can't wait to get back to the freedoms and the things/people we love so much. It's a hard thing to think about. I signed another 6 year contract...I know I'll be over here again or probably Afghanistan at least once....and that's fine with me...trust me, it is. Personally I have a big problem with the fact that some Soldiers are making their 3rd or 4th trip to the "desert". This is my first. That doesn't sit very well with me. I have a duty to my country and I want to do my part. SO, what am I trying to say....I don't know. I guess leading back to the first part of this paragraph when I say it's hard to leave this and go back home where life is kinda crazy...in a whole different way. It's hard to explain. I try to tell people that I really enjoy the fact that I'm in the Army. When I get bored at home in my civilian job, I "go somewhere"....usually by my choice. Now, I also "usually" have to say...."what?! me...I didn't see that coming." I think those who know me best figure that if I go somewhere, there was a little more to it than that. And, usually by the time I'm back home, I'm ready to be home again. Well, last time I was gone, i was gone for 18 months instead of just 12 so maybe that's why I'm not quite ready to get back home yet. I don't know.... there's fine line of happiness that I ride. I enjoy both the restaurant business, and the Army. I tell people that I live two different lives: one, my civilian life working in the restaurant, riding a motorcycle, driving a big truck on wet days, and doing my best to sort out my personal-personal life...and two: Serving my country in the Army as a medic. I know, two completely different jobs...IT'S GREAT! I'm not sure where i'm going with this....

I really really need to thank all of those who have been sending my group and I care packages. THANK YOU!! We've gotten so many useful things and so many nice folks have donated their time and money for Soldiers they don't even know. THANK YOU!! I just couldn't even start to name folks and orginizations that send us things...and I also know that's not why people do what they do...but THANK YOU!!!

Well, I feel like I'm ending this kinda quickly, but I've kinda run out of thoughts.... my brain just took a dump on me, and I'm lost for words. I will say this, friends are great. Great friends are far and few between. And between those friends you'll find those that you thought were good friends. The friends you didn't know would be so great...turn out even better. It's a shame that the ones you thought you could count on for anything....well...you end up not counting on them for anything other than a disappointment. And again, those who you never thought would care so much....come through in the end to help you through all the things that life throws at you. What's that saying...??? It takes a second to meet someone great and forever to forget them. Funny how those friends that you thought would be there for you end up being no where to be found, and those who you thought you'd never find again....they're right there with you.

I love you all and thank you so much!!

Somewhere in Iraq,
sgt wormy

6565

2 comments:

Unknown said...

YOU deserve the deepest of thanks!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Anonymous said...

I feel like I need to leave a comment but not sure what to say. "Friends" can fool you when you least expect it and never see it coming. I say that from personal experience.
As for your "careers" ..... I know that you really enjoy both.
I hope the next adventure you take that it will be somewhere we can come and visit again.
Love ya
MOM