Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July

Well, here I am again....still in Iraq....AND I want to say thank you to all of those who have shown support for us over here! I want to thank all who have thought about all the freedoms we have as Americans as we celebrate our Independence Day!! THANK YOU!!

What did I do on the 4th of July....what is a holiday like in Iraq? What do Soldiers do on the 4th of July?? Well for starters, we work. Over here there are no days off. There are no 'off days'. We can't ask the insurgents not to attack us because we want to have a little free time. BUT what we can do is this: we can make the best of where we are and do our best to have a good time. SO, what did we do? We worked....AND then we had a cookout! Actually we had a cookout yesterday and then the main event tonight. The main event included another cookout, karaoke, hanging out, and just having a good time. For me it included a six pack....of near-beer that is. WHICH doesn't help my effort to loose 15 lbs by the way. But we had a really great time. The only fireworks we had were two sets of sparklers we lit while we all sang "Proud to be an American" by Lee Greenwood. It was a nice end-cap to the evenings events. Other than that, no shooting stars, no other explosions, no interruptions....just a few hours of good times with friends.

I guess one thing people don't realize is that holidays over here are not what people in the States enjoy. I'm sure many many people had parties, get togethers, and went to firework shows. After all, it fell on a weekend. This is a pretty easy holiday to get through. Wait till Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years....those are much harder on Soldiers. I've been away from my family once already so hopefully this year won't be too hard. This is John's second time too I think. BUT that's down the road. I guess the point of all that is just to get you to think about all the liberties, freedoms, and great things you get to do as an American. In those times, please remember the Soldiers that have made it all possible and of those still in the fight for America's freedom.

On another note....I'm SHOCKED that only my dad commented on the deer hunting pic! And by the way THANKS DAD!! I got a great laugh out of the comment! I liked it so much, here it is:

DAD SAYS, LEAVE IT TO JEREMY TO SHOOT A DEER 6000 MILES FROM HOME IN THE MIDDLE OF A DESERT. HOPE IT IS GOOD EATING. I'LL BET YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO BUY A 150.00 HUNTING LICENSE. GLAD YOU ARE AT LEAST HAVING SOME FUN OVER THERE. LOVE YOU, DAD
AWSOME!! Thanks Daddy!!

Well, I don't really have much more to say for now...I guess. It's been pretty quiet over here for us anyway. My team is doing our best to stay busy with random stuff. I'm doing my best to stay busy in the gym. I'm doing my best to look 'better' when I get home. John really gave me some much needed motivation with his email to me. THANKS BRO!! He's 100% right, if I don't stick with this and do my best then I'll let myself down. Well, that's not in any of my plans! So hopefully I'll accomplish my goals before I come home. Well, that's about it for now. I need to update the Hall of Fame. I'll do that soon.

Till next time. LOVE YOU ALL!! And thanks for all the hits to this site!!! WOW!!

Somewhere in Iraq
SGT WORMY

2875

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2soldiers- recently found anysoldier.com and then found your blog. It's funny, sad, and uplifting all at the same time - I'm glad you are writing it. I have a few questions and thought maybe I'd reach you sooner here - one is about scrub tops for Iraq - have you gotten any? Exactly what type/color are you allowed to wear? Exactly what sizes - I've read people like them roomy? Do the females need specific things? Thanks for your continued service -we all appreciate your efforts!

Anonymous said...

Oh my ....... I hope you ate that poor deer after taking pride in shooting him ......... LOL It would be good for your cook outs that you have. Sure is not cold enough to let it hang very long I am sure.
I am glad that the anonymous people are enjoying the site as it is definately wonderful to read.
Watch for another box .... John got his already and I hope that things are not all sticky when you get the box. You will understand when you open the box. I forgot to wrap something a little extra to protect everything else from it.... sorry. :o)
Until next time .........
love ya
MOM